Saturday, May 31, 2008

School's Out For Summer

Jon left for a survival trek Thursday afternoon. He'll be gone for 3 days. We got Alex out of school early so we could have dinner together and see Jon off. Alex was disappointed that he didn't get to participate in a party they were just starting in his classroom when we picked him up. We had McDonald's for dinner, so that cheered him up a bit. Plus, I planned a party with them at home too.

Alex decided that for his party he wanted to go swimming. So, we got ready and I braved it alone. I was a little scared taking all 3 kids to the pool by myself, but it wasn't so bad. The boys actually felt really grown-up to be able to go shower and get dressed in the men's room all by themselves. They stuck to the buddy-system which made me worry a tiny bit less about them.

When we were on our way home from the pool Alex said that he wanted to go ride bikes for part of his party too. I told him that there was still one more day of school left and he needed to go to sleep at a good time. There's only so much fun that we can fit into one evening.



Friday we walked Alex and his friend, Byron, over to a park for their last day of school. They had their Field Day for only 2 1/2 hours. There were games, and big blow-up slides and otter-pops. They had a lot of fun. We had a last day of school party at our house to celebrate. Alex and Caleb invited our neighbors Byron and Emily to come over. I invited Trine, Larry, and Leyna to come over too so I wasn't the only adult around. I made home made pizza, bread sticks, brownies, and cut up some cantaloupe. Trine brought a really yummy salad too.

After we ate the kids played water-gun fights while I finished filling up some water balloons. They did a water balloon toss game and Alex and Byron won. Caleb had gone to a lot of trouble to find "prizes" that we could give to the winners of the games. We had a sack full of different things from around our house that Byron got to choose from. He chose an American Idol musical toy that we've had for a while. They were just having too much fun with the water guns, so we didn't actually do any more games. When Larry got involved with the water fight he drenched them with his 2 liter water bottle.

The neighbors and friends all went home and we continued our party inside with a pj/movie party. They got out their sleeping bags and we watched The Jetson's. We all had a sleepover in the living room. I was so worn out from the day that I went to bed at 8:30pm along with the kids. Hooray for summer! I hope the kids realize they can sleep in a little on weekdays now!

2 comments:

Steven & Adrienne said...

Thanks for having Byron & Emily over they had a blast!! What a cool mom/neighbor you are!!!

Amber H. said...

Man, that picture of the kids in the pool brought me back! I miss swim aerobics and especially being able to work out with you every night! I miss it! It sounds like you guys had a wonderful time though. Those times with our kids are absolutely the best in my opinion.