Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Caleb's First Day



Finally, the day has come when Caleb gets to go to school! He has been waiting and waiting for this day to come! He was so excited last night to lay out his clothes for the next day. We also loaded his backpack with pencils and crayons before he went to bed. He came out of his room about an hour after I put him to bed and said, "Mommy, I feel pukey. I need a garbage can. I hope I don't feel like this tomorrow!" So, he took a garbage can into his room 'just in case', but I think the real reason for his stomach-ache was butterflies from being so nervous and excited.

While we were waiting for the bus to come I asked him if he was excited. He looked a bit more reserved and said, "kind of." The anxiety wore off soon and he had a great first day of school. He had a good time, but there was a little bit of drama for me that followed....

Let me explain....

Caleb is going to a totally different school than Alex. There isn't room in the temporary school for the kindergarten classes, so they go somewhere else. Because of that reason there are 2 different school schedules for me to remember. Alex has early-out on Monday, Caleb has early-out on Friday. Plus it was parent-teacher conferences this week, so Monday AND Tuesday were early out for Alex's school. No big deal, right?

I showed up at Caleb's bus stop at 11:20am (because his bus should be there by 11:28am.) After waiting a half hour I called the school to see what the hold up was. I was told the bus was running late and that some of the kids were forgetting to get off of their stops and the bus was having to go back. So, I wait for another 3o minutes!

I finally got a phone call from Caleb's school on my cell phone saying Caleb was back at the school because no one was there to pick him up at the bus stop! WHAT?? Then they told me it was early-out and I realized that I did indeed miss his bus. The funny thing about it was I SAW his bus drive by!! It stopped a block away and let off some kids, then it drove right past our bus stop and kept driving all the way back to the school! I guess they stop at our stop first, so when it was on the way back it didn't plan to stop again.

So, I loaded up Leah and off we went to pick up Caleb. When I got there I saw about 15-20 other kids who had been brought back to the school to wait too! They were all sitting in the office playing together. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who forgot! I guess it wasn't made very clear about the whole early-out thing on a TUESDAY!

When I was in the office I saw 3 other kids from our ward there that I recognized and offered to take them home too. They could not get ahold of anyone's parents (because they were all still waiting outside at the bus stops!!). There was also another little girl who's mom they did get a hold of, but she had no transportation. I became the neighborhood school bus today as I loaded up my van with Caleb, Leah, and 4 other kindergarteners to take them home. I called one of the mom's in my ward and let her know what happened and that I had these 3 neighborhood kids so she could let the other mom's know too.

What a day! I wish it would have ended there, but my day continuted to be busy. I had to pick up Alex from school (it was his early out day too, and by the time I got the kindergarteners home it was time to head to his school). We had parent/teacher conferences. I didn't know the time the had assigned me for. I only knew it would be Tuesday. So, I was there right at the end of school (1:30pm), and found out they assigned me for 3pm. I didn't want to go home (a 10 minute drive), just to turn around and drive back 45 minutes later, so we waited at the school. Alex got his homework done, they played the "dot game", and drew pictures while we waited. By this time I realized I hadn't fed Caleb or Leah lunch so they were hungry. OOPS! We finally got in to see Alex's teachers, then we FINALLY were on our way home.... or not!

While I was telling Jon about my day on the way home he asked me to come pick him up from work because he had a surprise for me. When we picked him up he said he wanted to take us all out to dinner. We went to Fazolli's to eat, then came home to get dressed to go to the temple. Jon had arranged a babysitter to watch our kids so we could go. It was such a nice end to such a stressful day.

Let's hope day 2 of Caleb's school goes a little smoother than today!

P.S. After Caleb got to experience Kindergarten today he decided that he likes it so much and he doesn't want to move on to 1st grade anymore. So, he's staying in Kindergarten! I think it'll be better for him in the long run and I'll just have to supplement his learning with things at home.

3 comments:

Steven & Adrienne said...

Wow crazy days!!! Emily will be sad to find out he didn't move on...but oh well. Is he in Mrs. Unufe's class with Katelyn? Hope the rest of the week goes better for you. I hope I will be feeling better next week and will be able to walk with you guys.

Amber H. said...

LOL! It sounds a lot like my yesterday! You know, when my brother was little, he was really far ahead, so he skipped kindergarten, but then had a lot of problems from then on with school. My mom always said she wished she hadn't decided to let him skip a grade, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise to let him stay in kindergarten. At least he'll be the head of his class, right? What a pain to have to remember two different school schedules though...yuck!

AOlson said...

What an intense day! Two different schedules?! Now that will take a bit to get use to. I am glad you had such a wonderful end to your crazy day.