Now, our house is having problems. Last night our Central Air stopped working. We finally figured out that it was iced over, and we only had to let it defrost and then it worked again. When we turned it on, I smelt a funny gas-type smell. I didn't know if I was just smelling things, or if it really was serious. I decided to call the gas company to come check it out just to be sure. I called at 11pm. They told us to have everyone leave the house and that they'd be to our house within the hour. I laid a blanked out on our front yard and one by one Jon and I picked up a kid from their bed and laid them down on the blanket. Caleb and Leah stayed fast-asleep through the transfer. Alex woke up, and thought it was fun to be outside in the middle of the night. I stayed outside on the blanket with them while we waited for the gas man to get here. Once he came and I was talking to him, Caleb and Leah woke up. Caleb had the funniest comment when he woke up. He said, "Holy cow! How the heck did I get out here!" Once everyone was awake we played "I Spy" and told jokes to pass the time until it was safe to go back inside.
After a thorough check-out of our home it was discovered that our water heater was vented improperly...and had been since we've lived here! The gas man said that our phone call had saved our family's lives. We had a fairly new water heater (only 6 years old), so it wasn't putting out a lot of CO2, but as it aged it would have been putting out a lot more CO2 and eventually it would have asphyxiated us all!! How scary! He turned our water heater off and deemed it unsafe to operate until it was fixed. At least we were safe to to back inside the house.
So, Jon had to take the day off today to put in a new water heater. We needed a shorter one so that the slope of the vent would be correct. We will all sleep better tonight, and every night knowing that we are no longer at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. We will also be purchasing a Carbon Monoxide detector VERY soon to have in our home.
I am so thankful that Jon is so handy and knows how to fix and install just about anything. It has saved us so much money through all of these repairs.
So, our bathroom had taken a little bit of a back-seat to all of our other repairs and problems, but it is still making progress. The shower is almost done being tiled. Then, we just need to tile the floor of the bathroom and hall. I can't wait to see the finished product and I hope it can get done quickly now (and it will happen a lot faster if nothing else goes wrong). Here are a couple of pictures. One of the bathroom shower tile job, and the other (not so good quality because of poor lighting in our cellar) of Jon installing our new water heater.

3 comments:
Wow, that is super scary. I remember Steve looking outside wondering what you guys were doing outside that late. I am glad you got it fixed...but sad you have had to repair so many things.
Anyways here is my memory of you. I remember meeting you and finding out our Alex & Byron were only 2 months apart. I remember going to all the play dates...ok let's say mom's social dates. And I remember walking on the trail everyday with you... those were the fun days with only one child, where it was easier to push a stroller.
So I am so glad you guys are ok and you found out about your problem before anything bad happened! YIKES! I'm glad you got it all fixed though! I'm sorry about all the things having to get fixed at once though. I totally understand that one! I wonder why everything has to go wrong at once?? Your bathroom is looking great though! I can't wait to see it finished!
can I just say how glad I am that you were "prompted" or inspired to call and that you WEREN'T asphyxiated- sheesh! I think I need to have a little talk with larry about our own carbon monoxide detectors...
Post a Comment